The Level Marker feature helps you keep the camcorder level. The Grid Marker provides a reference grid in your viewfinder. You can choose between two different colors (white or gray) for better viewing contrast.
Zebra, Color Bars, and Test Tone
Zebra pattern indicates "blown out" or high brightness areas to help you set proper exposure. Color bars and test tone can be selected and recorded in order to adjust video and audio settings in your display system.
Gain may be manually set from 0 dB to 24 dB in 1 dB increments. Auto Gain Control Limit allows you to set the maximum gain limit for the image sensor's sensitivity so that image quality can be maximized in low-light situations.
Power zoom is available in Variable and Constant settings in 3 modes: Fast (approx. 1.9-60 seconds), Normal (approx. 2.5-180 seconds) and Slow (approx. 4.0-285 seconds). 16-predefined steps in Constant mode provides added control.
Focus Assist and High definition Peaking
The VIXIA HF G40 camcorder provides Focus Assist, which provides 2x magnification of your subject, Focus assists deactivates as soon as you start recording. Color peaking highlights the sharpest areas in the frame so you can easily check your focus.
AVCHD & MP4 Recording Formats
The VIXIA HF G40 supports MP4 recording at up to HD 1080/60p resolution.
Slow-Motion & Fast-Motion Recording
The VIXIA HF G40 allows you to add a fast or slow motion effect to your captured video by letting you record in a different frame rate than the one you use for playback. You can record interval video from 0.4x speed to 1200x speed.
Built-In Dual-Band Wi-Fi
Built-in Wi-Fi technology lets you share your HD video through compatible networks, wireless hotspots and iOS mobile devices using the free Canon Movie Uploader app. Transfer files to selected FTP servers for back up or when a quick transfer is necessary. Share videos over the Internet with Canon's free iMAGE GATEWAY online photo storage service as well. You can even watch videos stored on the camera's memory cards directly on your living room TV, or use your PC or mobile device to browse remotely through the previously recorded videos stored on your camcorder, without connecting a cable. The Remote Browse function uses a standard web browser and does not even require a special app.
Remote Operation Through Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi technology also allows for remote control of key camcorder controls, such as recording start/stop and zoom (in three different speeds), exposure functions (iris, shutter speed, gain and more) and focus settings.
The camcorder features a 2.5 mm stereo mini jack LANC port, under the HDMI out connector. This is an input for LANC control only.
OLED 3.5" Capacitive Touch Display
The touch-sensitive Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) panel on the VIXIA HF G40 supports capacitive touch responsiveness, 10,000:1 contrast ratio, and 1,230,000 dots of resolution. Touch operation also affords more fluid control of camera functions like Touch and Track, Touch Focus and Touch Exposure.
Tilt Electronic 0.24" Color LCD Viewfinder
The VIXIA HF G40 features a 0.24" color LCD electronic viewfinder with approximately 100% field of view coverage and 1,560,000 dots of resolution. It can be tilted up to 45° from its normal resting position as well, which enables more shooting freedom. Settings can even be adjusted with a handy joystick so you don't have to stop looking through the viewfinder. And, because it is positioned where your thumb naturally rests while holding the camera, you can shoot and adjust easily - even with one hand.
Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card Slots with Relay Recording
The VIXIA HF G40 allows you to record video directly to widely available SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards with capacities ranging from 32GB all the way up to 2TB. They are available in ultra-fast reading and writing speeds that make it easy to share video. Plus, dual slots on the VIXIA HF G40 enable Relay Recording. The camcorder automatically switches to the second memory card when the first one becomes full, so there's no need to worry about running out of recording time.
Wide DR Mode
Selecting Wide DR Gamma mode suppresses overexposure in bright areas of your image. This has the effect of expanding the dynamic range to 600% and helping to provide smooth detail with accurate color rendition and limit blown-out highlight
Highlight Priority Mode
VIXIA HF G40 camcorder has a new Highlight Priority mode that achieves effects similar to HDR modes in other camcorders. By reducing the mid- to high-brightness compression of the standard gamma mode, the Highlight Priority mode helps to prevent loss of detail in high brightness areas.
View Assist for Highlight Priority Mode
The View Assist function allows the camera's viewfinder and LED panel to increase brightness and medium tone gammato display your images with the brightness and gradation with which they are being recorded.
High-Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery
The VIXIA HF G40 is powered by a high capacity rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack that lets you shoot longer. It also features intelligent technology that accurately indicates remaining battery time down to the minute.
Intelligent Optical Image Stabilization System
Canon's sophisticated SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer helps compensate for camera shake. Canon's DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor enables Dynamic Image Stabilization mode, which provides continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broad range of motion issues, with extra compensation applied at wide-angle focal lengths. The system stabilizes rotational camera shake, and this helps ensure smooth, virtually distortion-free video, even when you're walking while shooting.
Linear PCM Audio Recording
The VIXIA HF G40 supports pro-quality 16-bit LPCM audio recording for enhanced sound fidelity. This format is also fully compatible with both video-editing and audio-editing software. LPCM is supported only in 28 and 24Mbps recording modes.
Audio Scene Select
Audio Scene Select offers five modes that automatically optimize settings based on the recording situation. This makes it easy to record more realistic, immersive audio in a range of situations.
Optional Canon WM-V1 Wireless Microphone
This Canon camcorder works with a range of accessories including Canon's WM-V1 Wireless Microphone, which streams audio wirelessly from subjects up to 164' (50m) away. It's ideal for when you're shooting talking subjects from far away. Plus, it can also be used as a stand-alone transceiver to cue shooting and more.
To enhance focusing capability, the VIXIA HF G30 features Focus Assist. Normally found in professional cameras, this feature helps you to capture subjects in razor-sharp focus. It works by providing a 2x magnification of your subject, which is automatically cancelled when you start recording.
Zebra, Color Bars, Test Tone
The VIXIA HF G30 has a range of functions designed to pinpoint focus adjustment and exposure control for professional-level quality. Zebra pattern indicates "blown out" or high brightness areas to help you set proper exposure. Color Bars and Test Tone can be selected and recorded in order to adjust video and audio quality.
With the integrated Level Marker feature, it's easy to keep the camcorder level for more accurate framing. There's also a Grid Marker that provides a reference grid in your viewfinder. The Grid Marker is also available in two different colors for better viewing contrast.
Versatile Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe
The integrated Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe allows you to attach optional Canon accessories, such as the VL-5 Video Light, VFL-2 Video Flash Light, DM-100 Directional Stereo Microphone or SM-V1 5.1-Channel Surround Microphone. However, on the VFL-2, only the video light function is supported.
- 1920 x 1080p Recording Up to 60 fps
- Canon 20x HD Video Lens
- Wide DR Gamma (600%) HD Peaking
- Highlight Priority Mode
- Dual SDXC Memory Card Slots
- OLED 3.5" with 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio
- Intelligent Optical Image Stabilization
- Advanced Display Features & HDMI Output
- Slow/Fast Motion and Interval Recording
- Built-In Wi-Fi with FTP Transfer
- Power Supply (rated) 7.4 V DC (battery pack), 8.4 V DC (DC IN)
- Image Sensor 1/2.84-inch CMOS, RGB Primary Color Filter
- Total Pixels Approx. 3.09 Megapixels (2208 x 1398)
- Effective Pixels Approx. 2.91 Megapixels (2136 x 1362)
- Zoom Ratio: 20x Optical / 400x Digital
- Focal Length: 3.67㫡.4mm (35mm equivalent: 26.8𤰰mm with Standard IS/IS Off, 28.8𤰰mm with Dynamic IS)
- Zoom Speed: Variable speed / Constant speed (16 levels); Fast, Normal or Slow
- Max. F/Stop: f/1.8מ.8
- Hybrid AF (TTL-video signal detection system and external phase difference metering system): Instant AF, Medium AF, Normal AF (TTL-video signal selection system), Face Only AF, Manual Focus
- Manual Exposure Manual Mode: P, Tv, Av, M (Manual exposure), SCN (Portrait, Sports, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Night, Low Light, Spotlight, Fireworks)
- 20mm (wide end) / 60cm (across zooming range)
- Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H
- AVCHD - 1080: 59.94P / 59.94i / PF29.97 / 23.98P
- MP4 - 1080: 59.94P / 29.97P / 23.98P; 720 and 360: 29.97P / 23.98P
- Auto Mode: Approx. 1.2 lux (shutter speed 1/30 sec. and with auto slow shutter on)
- Low Light Mode: Approx. 0.1 lux (shutter speed 1/2 sec.)
- Optical system (lens shift) + electronic stabilization Control Modes: Dynamic IS Powered IS* Macro IS Tripod Mode * During Intelligent IS (Auto Mode), Powered IS can be set to On or Off. IS Modes other than Intelligent IS: Standard IS IS Off
- Filter Diameter 58mm 0.24-inch, TFT Widescreen color LCD (Equivalent to approx. 1.56 million dots; 100% field of view)
- 3.5-inch OLED, Capacitive Touch Panel (Approx. 1.23 million dots)
- 2 SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slots
- USB Terminal
- mini-B receptacle and Hi-Speed USB supported (output only)
- HDMI OUT mini connector
- 3.5mm diameter stereo mini-jack, MIC/LINE switching possible
- 3.5 mm 4 pole mini-jack (video/audio output only)
- 3.5mm stereo mini-jack
- 2.5mm stereo mini-jack (input only)
- 4.3 x 3.3 x 7.2 in. / 109 x 84 x 182mm (Not including lens hood and grip belt)
- Approx. 1.7 lb. / 765g (includes grip belt)